Downton Abbey may be coming to an end at the beginning of March, but we’ll forever remember how much we love the elegant, vintage aesthetic. We decided that a show so wonderful needed to go out in style, so what did we do? We teamed up with RecipeChatter and threw ourselves a little Downton Abbey-inspired tea party, complete with easy DIY Downton Abbey inspired crafts! First, check out our video and see how to throw a tea party. Then scroll down – we’ll show you how to make the DIY floral table centerpiece, the easy table runner, and the no-sew napkins in a snap! You can have a blast throwing your own tea party, whether it’s to celebrate Downton Abbey’s great run or just for fun! For the vintage dessert recipes, head over to the RecipeChatter blog!
Downton Abbey Inspired Bouquet Candelabra Centerpiece
- faux flowers
- floral twine
- strands of fake pearls
- Trim flower stems so there is only about 3-4″ of stem remaining.
- Gather flowers into four small bouquets. Secure together with floral twine.
- Arrange smaller bouquets together around the center pillar of the candelabra. Secure with floral twine.
- If necessary, fluff out flowers so as to obscure stems.
- For an optional added decoration, drape fake pearls around the candelabra and in the flowers as a final touch.
WARNING: Fake flowers are flammable. If you decide to light your candles, please do not leave centerpiece unattended.
Downton Abbey Inspired DIY Table Runner
This no-sew table runner adds a touch of vintage elegance to any gathering. In just a few simple steps, you’ll learn how to make a table runner that’s quick and easy – perfect for a last-minute occasion.
- length of lace fabric (length will depend on the length of your table; for a four-foot table, we used eight feet of fabric)
- length of tulle fabric (same length as lace fabric)
- Lay lace fabric out in the center of your table. Fold so that scalloped edge is visible on both sides of the table runner.
- Lay tulle fabric on top of lace.
- At each end, bunch fabric together and tie with a ribbon.
Downton Abbey Inspired DIY Napkins
Take your cloth napkins to the next level with this no-sew napkin tutorial. We’ll show you how to add lace trim to any plain napkin for an elegant look that immediately dresses up your table decor.
- cloth napkins
- lace trim
- iron-on adhesive
- Cut lace trim to the length of one side of your napkin.
- Cut adhesive into a strip the length of your lace.
- Iron adhesive to the lace.
- Peel off paper backing, then iron lace and adhesive onto the napkin.
- Repeat steps 1-4 for the side adjacent to the one you just did.
You should end up with lace on two sides of each napkin. When folded, lace will be displayed on edges.
For more of our vintage craft tutorials, check these out:
- 54 Retro Free Vintage Sewing Patterns
- 11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies Free eBook
- 23 Vintage Sewing Projects and Patterns
And don’t forget to check out the vintage dessert recipes over on RecipeChatter!
Have you ever had a tea party?
Latest posts by Seams and Scissors (see all)
- Namast’ay in Bed: 14 Zen Quilt Patterns - March 15, 2017
- Easy Quilt Tutorial: Fresh Diamonds Quilt - February 16, 2017
- Countdown to Glam: Sewing Patterns for New Year’s Eve - December 30, 2016