Winter is nearly over, and it’s time to start enjoying ourselves! That means parties, reading outside, hiking, eating on patios and rooftops, and having more energy to work on projects! I can hardly wait. You know what else I can’t wait for? Maxi dresses. Holy cow, do I love them. They’re slimming and they’re easy to accessorize–just throw on a chunky beaded necklace or a pair of big earrings and you’re set! What’s better than buying a maxi dress? Knowing how to make a maxi dress. And how to turn it into the perfect outfit.
Check out some outfits we’ve made with free tutorials for jewelry, clutches, and maxi dresses on our sites!
Summer Outfit Ideas
1. To dress down or not to dress down…it doesn’t have to be a question.
I have a lot of friends who don’t think they know how to style a maxi dress simply because they aren’t sure whether to go formal or casual with them. They’re floor-length…..but they’re made of soft, often billowy fabric. It can be confusing! The great news about maxi dresses is that when worn plain or with one simple accessory, they’re perfect for an afternoon at brunch or the shopping mall with friends, but, If you add some earrings, style your hair, and pain on a little lipstick–boom! Suddenly the dress takes on a new, formal life. Here’s a free maxi dress pattern that fits either bill.
1. The Dress: Effortless Caftan Dress
2. The Necklace: Solar System Chunky Clay Necklace
3.The Belt (Bottom Right:) Fabric Wrap Belt
2. You’re Formally Invited to an Evening of Looking Gorgeous
There’s no question about it: this pretty maxi is for a night out. You can wear it to a gala or a wedding! The amazing news is, it’s very easy to make, and can be draped in different ways to fit your preferences. Pair it with some sparkly accessories and you’ll be ready for the perfect evening with a beau or friends.
1. The Dress: Draped Maxi Dress
2. The Clutch: Evening Bow Clutch Tutorial
3. The Jewelry: Indian-Style Beaded Earrings
3. The perfect summer afternoon outfit
Looking at this outfit makes me want to be on a boat. Or at a summer festival. Or at a garden party. It’s simply perfect for any gathering that summer can throw at you. Who doesn’t love a simple cotton maxi or a statement necklace? The combination of three bold colors will ensure that you’re bright, pretty, and stylish all day long.
2. The Jewelry: Quick Coral Statement Necklace
3. The Clutch: DIY Envelope Clutch
Want even more free maxi patterns? Check out, 27 Long Dresses for Summer: Women’s Mai Dresses and Skirts
Which of these styles fits you best?
Latest posts by AllFreeSewing (see all)
- Update with Our May Sew-a-Thon! - May 25, 2017
- Editorial Report: 10 Prom Dress Sewing Patterns - May 11, 2017
- Our Favorite Sewing Projects: Inspiration from Young Designers - May 3, 2017