Hi! Stephanie from Swoodson Says again – sharing a modern heart sachet pattern. My Mom’s birthday is this month and I thought I’d sew something that smelled sweet to tuck in her fabric stash or in with her quilts. I wanted to make it inspired by Valentine’s Day but shy away from anything too frilly or sweet; the geometric lines are inspired by a squirrel embroidery I stitched from a Mollie Makes book. You could add a ribbon and hang it in your closet, too.
• 1 12 X 18” sheet of wool blend felt
• Transfer medium for the embroidery pattern (I used Fabri-Solvy)
• White perle cotton or embroidery floss
• Embroidery needle
• Rice & essential oil, or potpourri
1. Transfer the pattern over to the felt with your preferred method. The outer line is for cutting once finished, the rest can be stitched with a simple backstitch. The dots outlining the letters are French knots.
2. Use the heart to cut out a second, matching shape from the felt and sew wrong sides together with ¼” seam allowance, leaving a 2” gap. Fill with potpourri or rice – I used lavender essential oil to scent some rice.
3. Sew to close the gap you left for filling and enjoy!
How would you use this sachet?
Latest posts by Seams and Scissors (see all)
- Kill the Chill with an Infinity Scarf Pattern: 12 Free Scarf Patterns - October 12, 2017
- Current Pillowcase Count: AllFreeSewing’s Pillowcase Sew-a-Thon for Operation Christmas Child! - May 15, 2017
- Namast’ay in Bed: 14 Zen Quilt Patterns - March 15, 2017