A budget-wise sewist is a smart one! As we all know, fabric can be very expensive, and other sewing materials make this craft a heavy-hitter at the bank. When the holidays roll around and we’re sewing up a storm, it becomes even more important to be thrifty. This might just be our most important tip of the week!
Here’s an awesome tutorial from Westcott on how to recycle a shirt into a cute skirt! This skirt would pair perfectly with boots and tights this fall.
- Westcott 8” ExtremEdge Bent Scissors #15351
- Westcott 3” Straight Scissors #15150
- Long Sleeve T-Shirt
- Stick Pins
- Sewing Thread
- Sewing Machine (optional)
1) With the key provided adjust the tension of the Westcott 8” ExtremEdge Bent Scissors to suit for cutting comfort.
2) Lay down your long sleeve t-shirt and cut off the sleeves and upper portion as shown.
3) Trim the sleeves at a 90 degree angle.
4) With your sewing machine (or if you prefer you can sew by hand) use a basting stitch to gather the wide ends of the sleeves. Trim any loose threads with the Westcott 3” Straight Scissors. Stitch the gathered ends of the sleeves to the top of the remaining portion of the shirt on each side. Try on the skirt and adjust the fit by tying the loose ends of the sleeves off to one side to create a stylish sash!
Gain extra entries for our grand prize by commenting on our daily National Sewing Month blog posts here on Seams & Scissors. Comment your answer to our question below for an extra entry!
- Commenting on this page will enter you to win the prize. Duplicate comments will be deleted and are not tallied.
- The winner will be selected at random from the comments on this page and entries on AllFreeSewing.com.
- You have until September 30th, 2016 at 11:59 CST to leave your comment on this post. Comments after that will not be counted.
- Contest is open to anyone 18+ in the US and Canada. Void in Puerto Rico, the Province of Quebec and where prohibited.
- The winner will be contacted by the e-mail address provided in their account.
Today’s Question: What type of fabric do you like to work with?
Latest posts by Seams and Scissors (see all)
- Misty Mountain Lodge: 12 Cabin-Worthy Quilts - November 17, 2017
- Kill the Chill with an Infinity Scarf Pattern: 12 Free Scarf Patterns - October 12, 2017
- Current Pillowcase Count: AllFreeSewing’s Pillowcase Sew-a-Thon for Operation Christmas Child! - May 15, 2017