Learn how to sew a pillow cover with this easy to follow, beginner friendly tutorial. I bought this absolutely beautiful deer-inspired fabric to make some accent pillows for my living room. This teal/turquoise fabric was the perfect color for my rustic, vintage living room. I am loving how these look on my couch. They literally took about 20 minutes each to make. I couldn’t resist sharing the tutorial with you guys. This is an easy project that you can whip up in no time to add a bit of charm to your decor.
The fabric used here is from Hawthorne Threads Winter Fawn line.
The envelope pattern makes removing and washing the pillow cover easy. How pretty is this border on the bottom of the pillow!
Your Supplies for 1 pillow cover
- 1/2-1 yard cotton fabric (depends on the size of your pillow)
- pillow insert
- sewing essentials
Measure and Cut
- Measure the size of your pillow insert. Mine was 15″ X 15″.
- Front: Cut one piece 2″ longer than your pillow. I cut mine 17″ x 17″.
- Back: Cut two pieces same width as the front but 5″ shorter in width. Mine was 17″ x 12″.
(using 1/2″ seam allowance)
Let’s start by hemming the back pieces. Fold in the short long side 1/4″. Iron neatly. Fold it again 1″ and iron neatly. Sew down. Repeat for both of your back pieces.
Next, lay all your pieces right sides together. Your back pieces will overlap. Sew all the way around. Zig-zag or serge all around the pillow to prevent fraying.
That’s it. It was that easy.
Thanks for visiting and Happy Sewing!
Gain extra entries for our grand prize by commenting on our daily National Sewing Month blog posts here on Seams & Scissors. Comment your answer to our question below for an extra entry!
- Commenting on this page will enter you to win the prize. Duplicate comments will be deleted and are not tallied.
- The winner will be selected at random from the comments on this page and entries on AllFreeSewing.com.
- You have until September 30th, 2016 at 11:59 CST to leave your comment on this post. Comments after that will not be counted.
- Contest is open to anyone 18+ in the US and Canada. Void in Puerto Rico, the Province of Quebec and where prohibited.
- The winner will be contacted by the e-mail address provided in their account.
Today’s Question: Have you ever sewn a pillow or pillowcase?
Latest posts by AllFreeSewing (see all)
- 24 Easter Dress Patterns - March 22, 2017
- 14 Playful Plus Size Sewing Patterns - March 8, 2017
- 14 Red Carpet Worthy Special Occasion Sewing Patterns - February 15, 2017