From a young age, we fall in love with the magic, romance, and adventure of fairy tales. From dastardly villains to beautiful princesses, the characters of fairy tales bewitch us and transport us to another world with their fantastical stories. The enchantment of fairy tales doesn’t have to end when we grow up, though. Try out one of these captivating fairy tale inspired sewing projects, and you are sure to live happily ever after!
This collection, 26 Fairy Tale-Inspired Sewing Project Ideas, includes magically fun sewing projects that will make you feel like your favorite fairy tale is coming true. Your little ones will adore dressing up in fairy-tale inspired clothes, like this DIY Tinkerbell Costume (shown lower right).
You can share in the magic too with sewing patterns like this spellbinding Graceful Dress Pattern. Add just a touch of fairy dust with DIY accessories fit for royalty. You can even create an enchanting environment in your house with this Magical Lights Tulle Wreath and other DIY home decor.
When I was a little girl, I never wanted to be a princess for Halloween. I always dressed up as witches, animals, book characters, and more. But now, I have nieces, and I love seeing how excited they get to dress up as Elsa or Ariel and be a princess for a day. The kids in your life will love these projects too!
- Fairy Lights Princess Costume: This gorgeous DIY dress is simply enchanting.
- (shown right) DIY Tinkerbell Costume: Your little girl can be everyone’s favorite fairy with this easy DIY costume.
- Rapunzel Halloween Costume Hair: Rapunzel would be nothing without her hair. Your little girl will have the ultimate homemade Halloween costume with this sewing project.
- Royal and Red DIY Princess Costume: This elegant princess costume will make your daughter the fairest maiden in the land.
- Reversible Royal Baby Crown: This easy sewing project will make your little one as cute as Prince George.
- For the boys! The Cutest Prince Charming Costume Ever: Boys love fairy tales too! Let your little man have an adventure in this adorable DIY Halloween costume.
- No Sew Tulle Dreams Mermaid Costume: If you don’t sew, you can still give your daughter a dream come true with this mermaid-inspired gown.
- The Elsa Dress: Frozen is sure to be a beloved fairy tale for the ages. Your little girl will fall in love with this Elsa Dress that she can wear every day.
- Little Miss Gingerbread Dress: If your daughter isn’t crazy about princesses, she can still live out a classic fairy tale with this Gingerbread Man inspired dress.
- Royal Kids Crowns: These little felt crowns are TOO cute.
How to Make Clothing Fit For a Queen
These stunning sewing projects are all inspired by fairy tales and royalty. The teens and young adults in your life would love any of these as a gift!
- The Fairy Tale Cape Pattern: This Little Red Riding Hood inspired cape is trendy, fashion-forward, and will keep you warm in chilly weather.
- Graceful Dress Pattern: This simple dress looks like something that Alice in Wonderland might wear to a tea party.
- Draped Maxi Dress: You’ll look just like Meg from Hercules in this gorgeous and elegant Grecian gown.
- (shown left) Fit for Pemberley Dress: This romantic dress will make you look like the princess you have always wanted to be.
- Princess Prom Dress: This is the perfect dress for special occasions!
DIY Accessories for Fairy Tale Lovers
When it comes down to feeling like a princess, the details matter! Even if you’re not fully dressed as royalty, you can take these DIY accessories with you any day to remind yourself that you’re special.
- Romantic Ruffled Bracelet: For just a touch of royal beauty, this cuff is a perfect simple accessory to add to any outfit.
- Fuzzy Fur DIY Cap: Your favorite fairy tale characters had to keep warm too! This fur cap is elegant and fit for royalty.
- 2-for-1 Reversible Pouch: This useful pouch will make you feel as adventurous and medieval as Robin Hood.
- DIY Fancy Lace Clutch: If princesses carried purses, this is the one they would use.
- Fast and Fancy Fingerless Princess Gloves: Fit for the ball!
- NEW! (shown right) Precious Unicorn Backpack Pattern: Because we all know that princesses love unicorns!
Enchanting DIY Home Decor
Last but certainly not least, who wouldn’t want to live in a castle? Turn your home into a palace of your very own with these whimsical sewing projects! It’s easy to make these pieces of DIY home decor, so give it a try.
- Magical Lights Tulle Wreath: Your home will glow with fairy lights with this beautiful wreath.
- DIY Waves of Ruffles Shower Curtain: Kate Middleton probably uses a shower curtain just like this one.
- Shabby Chic Pleated Shade: This simple, elegant lamp shade will make your home look like a palace.
- (shown left) Rose Pillow: Take your living space from mediocre to magical with this easy DIY pillow tutorial.
- Sparkle DIY Baby Mobile: For your little princesses and princes!