Quilting is one of America’s most treasured forms of fabric art and has both cultural and historical significance for the US. So, to celebrate the importance of quilting in the United States, and to celebrate it as a beloved art form, we’ve compiled a list of our top 50 quilt patterns and tutorials inspired by each state. Our list is divided regionally, from the beautiful shores of New England to the great Pacific Northwest, so that every US region is fully represented. Be sure to find your state in our list so that you can create your next quilt in celebration of your state pride!
This list of quilt blocks and full quilt patterns contains every color and pattern imaginable. So find your designated state or journey to a new destination without ever leaving home with this list of free quilt patterns and tutorials!
If you live outside of the US, we’d love to hear all about traditional quilt patterns from your country. Just be sure to leave a comment below! Here’s wishing you happy quilting!
Ain’t That America: 50 Regional Quilt Patterns and Tutorials
Northeast Quilts: New England and the Mid-Atlantic States
- Old Money Quilt – Connecticut!
- Ocean Ripples Table Runner – Maine!
- New England Cross Star Block – Massachusetts!
- Festive Fall Baby Quilt – New Hampshire!
- Bright Hopes Star Block – Rhode Island!
- Scrappy Mountain Majesties Quilt – Vermont!
- Simple Seaside Boardwalk Quilt as You Go Block – New Jersey!
- Fancy Fem New York Beauty Block – New York!
- Dutch Windmill Block Pattern – Pennsylvania!
Quilts Inspired by the Great American Midwest
- Country Cabin Lap Quilt – Illinois!
- Farmer’s Wife 1930s Quilt Block – Indiana!
- My Blue Heaven Bed Quilt – Michigan!
- Ohio Star Quilt Block Tutorial – Ohio!
- Fat Quarter Flagged Quilt Pattern – Wisconsin!
- Whirling Star Quilt Block – Iowa!
- Kansas Twister Block – Kansas!
- Midwest Crossings Quilt – Minnesota!
- Christopher’s Missouri Puzzle Star Quilt – Missouri!
- Church Picnic Quilt – Nebraska!
- Sunny Trails Quilt – North Dakota!
- Double Dresden Delight Quilt – South Dakota!
Old-Fashioned Southern Quilts
- Seaside Chevron Picnic Quilt – Delaware!
- Finger Lakes Quilt Tutorial – Florida!
- Peaches and Cream Quilt – Georgia!
- Speedy Strips Layer Cake Race Quilt – Maryland!
- Sunburst Picnic Blanket – North Carolina!
- Country Denim Quilt Pattern – South Carolina!
- Virginia Reel Quilt Block – Virginia!
- Kaleidoscope Pinwheel Quilt – West Virginia!
- Pinkie Swear Quilt Pattern – Alabama!
- Kentucky Derby Table Topper Pattern – Kentucky!
- Bandanna Picnic Quilt Tutorial – Mississippi!
- Tennessee HST Block Pattern – Tennessee!
- Arkansas Star Quilt Block – Arkansas!
- Glorious Louisiana Sunrise Block – Louisiana!
- Sunshine Texas Star Block Pattern – Texas!
- Road to Oklahoma Quilt Pattern – Oklahoma!
Wild West Quilts: Quilts Inspired by the American West
- Arizona Block – Arizona!
- Mountain Lodge Flannel Quilt – Colorado!
- Sunny Stripey Day Tied Quilt – Idaho!
- Thicketty Mountain Quilt – Montana!
- Aztec Charm Pack Pattern – Nevada!
- Navajo Star Quilt Block Pattern – New Mexico!
- Arrowhead Puzzle Quilt Block Pattern – Utah!
- Traveling Southwest Quilt – Wyoming!
- Anchorage Free Block Pattern – Alaska!
- Sunny Meadow Quilt – California!
- Circus Baby Quilt using Hawaiian Appliques – Hawaii!
- Rain Drops Bargello Quilt Tutorial – Oregon!
- Deep Blue Sea Quilt – Washington!