There are two types of people in the world: there are the ones who need half a dozen pillows barricading them into bed, or the ones who only need strictly one pillow. Pillows are so much more than just for sleeping on though. Everyone has seen the Bed, Bath, and Beyond set-ups where the decorative pillows take up half the bed, but who can afford a dozen pillows? Definitely not me. That’s why I turn to my cute craft room for some fun inspiration and ideas. Pillows are an easy sewing project to decorate your home and bedroom. There are so many tricks as to how to make a pillow. The best part of DIY pillow projects is that you can customize them to your own tastes and the decor that you already have. You don’t have to go on a search through the city trying to find the accent that coincides with the idea you already have in your head. Save yourself the headache of trying to find the perfect pillow, and just make it yourself. DIY sewing projects are a great way to save money and personalize everything in your life.
For any well experienced sewist, a pillow is no big deal. But for all my newbies out there like me, it can be a little intimidating. Especially corners. Those things are mean sometimes. Thankfully, sewing a pillow is super easy and there are some cute decorating designs that are simple to put assemble. I have a lot of neutral base colors, with an accent color for a little bit of pop. This DIY floral pillow is absolutely perfect. I love how easy it is to make a flower look intricate, but in reality, it is just a little creativity and steady hands. This Bohemian zipper pillow case uses your extra scraps to make a unique mish-mash of colors and patterns.
Dummie’s Guide to How to Make A Pillow
1. Collect fabric scraps and leftover pieces
2. Cut a square 1″ bigger than your pillow in both width and length.
3. Cut out Shapes that you want to applique on. Arrange the shapes as you like.
4. Pin your shapes down. You could use adhesive spray on the back of the fabric first in lieu of pins.
**Note that if your pillow fabric is thin, you can reinforce it with a layer of quilt backing. This extra layer will make your pillow last much longer.
5. Sew your shapes down! We recommend the zigzag stitch because it gives a little more flair, but you can use whatever you’re comfortable with.
6. Now you’re ready to put the zipper on the back. Again, you’ll need a square 1″ bigger than your pillow form.
7. Pin your zipper in place at the bottom of the form and pin the sides together.
8. Open the zipper a few inches so you can reach your hand through, and sew the other three sides of the pillow (make sure you’re sewing it with the wrong side out).
9. Clip your corners and press the three side seams flat.
10. Turn it right side out and put in the pillow!
Did you love this tutorial? Check out these other DIY pillows!
We want to know: do you sleep with a lot of pillows or do you only use one?
Latest posts by AllFreeSewing (see all)
- The Biggest Selection of Free Bag Sewing Patterns! - January 14, 2019
- We Love Precuts: 13 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns - January 11, 2019
- Blue Jean Baby: 19 Denim Sewing Patterns - January 10, 2019