Have you ever been sitting at the fabric store, having just found the PERFECT fabric for someone, but you don’t know their measurements offhand? I know I have. I’ll find the perfect fabric, or the perfect pattern for someone and then struggle over guessing how much fabric to buy or what size pattern I need.
We’ve come up with a great solution for you. Take a little time to measure the people in your life that you sew for often, fill in the free printable below and keep it in your purse. Then you’ll know what size you need, how much fabric to buy and even their current shoe size. The free printable chart is perfect to send to grandma, as well!
How to Take Body Measurements
First, it’s important to have a flexible (non-stretchable) tape measure. You need the flexible nature of the tape measure to wrap around body parts.
- Shoes off, standing up straight!
- Make sure the tape measure is level around the body and parallel to the floor
- Keep tape close to the skin without depressing it.
- Chest: Measure directly the armpits, as high up as possible.
- Waist: Measure at its narrowest point width-wise, usually just above the bellybutton.
- Hips: Measure around the widest part of the hips.
- Inseam: Measure from where you want your pants to end up to the crotch.
- Outseam: Measure from where you want your pants to end up the outside of the leg waist.
- Arm length: Measure from where you want your long sleeve to end (wrist) up the arm to the cap of the shoulder.
You may also like:
Today’s Prize is a great package of DesignFoam, OlyFun Fabric rolls and more!
To enter the daily giveaway, leave a comment below telling us:
What is one sewing technique you’d love to learn?
Official Rules for Daily Contest
- There is a maximum of one entry per person. The entry will be based upon a comment left on this blog post. Duplicate comments will be deleted and are not tallied.
- Winner will be selected at random from the comments on this blog post below.
- You have until tonight, September 29th, 2015 at 11:59p EST to leave your comment on this post. Comments posted after that will not be counted.
- Contest open to anyone 18+ in US and/or Canada.
Latest posts by AllFreeSewing (see all)
- Sewing for Beginners: 10 Best Basic Sewing Tutorials - September 13, 2018
- 20 T-Shirt Upcycle Ideas - August 22, 2018
- 41 Swinging ’60s Sewing Patterns - August 14, 2018