Vintage is always in and with every fashion era comes certain trends that become popular with the masses. The 1920s is famous for its raised hemlines, extravagant beading, and fun accessories like feathered headbands. With WWII came more military-inspired tailoring, boxy shapes, and Hollywood glamour. But my favorite fashion era by far is the 1950s, with its mixture of structured garments and feminine details. The 1950s embraced ladylike elegance with details like bows, fitted waists, and soft fabrics, and took the boxy silhouettes of the 1940s and made them rounder with fuller skirts and unpadded shoulders. So, to celebrate all things 1950s, I’ve created a list of vintage-inspired patterns that are figure-flattering and feminine.
This list of free vintage-inspired patterns is the perfect way to combine modern prints and fabrics with retro shapes, from circle skirt patterns to charming free dress patterns that embrace those classic 50s shapes. I’ve also made sure to include some great sewing patterns for kids, as well as chic DIY accessories that will give you a head-to-toe 1950s look. So pour yourself a cocktail, put on your pearls, and get ready to sew up a storm with these free sewing patterns that I know you’ll love!
If you have some vintage-inspired sewing patterns of your own, or just want to let me know your favorite look from this list, be sure to add a comment below! I hope you enjoy these blast-from-the-past sewing patterns inspired by the 1950s. Here’s wishing you happy sewing!
Ladylike Elegance: 27 Free Sewing Patterns Inspired by the 1950s
Darling Dresses: Vintage-Inspired Dress Patterns
- Barbara Free Dress Pattern
- Sandra Dee Summer Dress
- 50’s Dress with Knotted Shoulders – The Best Cocktail Dress!
- Versatile Little Black Dress
- A Gathered Dress – Flattering Full Skirt!
- New Year’s Resolution Party Dress
- Sunny Day DIY Dress – Brand New!
- The Notebook-Inspired Vintage Dress
It’s in the Details: DIY Accessories
- DIY Vintage Belt – The Perfect Ladylike Touch!
- Betty Draper Inspired Apron
- Bow Belt Tutorial
- Scrapbuster Hair Bow Tutorial – Great for Using Fabric Scraps!
- Bow Clips for Shoes
- 50s Headband
- Birdcage Veil Tutorial – Wonderful Vintage Wedding Idea!
From Top to Bottom: Blouse and Skirt Patterns and Tutorials
- Flattering Upcycled DIY Skirt
- The Pinwheel Skirt – Fun and Unique Shape!
- Sweet and Simple Bow Top
- Gold Trim Cardi Detail
- Enchanting Tulle Skirt – Trending!
- Sassy Secretary Upcycled Skirt
- How to Make a Skater Skirt – Tutorial!
Retro-Inspired Clothes for Kids
- Vintage Heirloom Dress – Great for Toddlers and Younger!
- Easy Peasy Peter Pan Collar Tutorial
- The Audrey Hepburn Cape – For Little Fashionistas!
- Secretariat Inspired Dress
- Boys Retro Varsity Jacket
What’s your favorite fashion era? Leave a comment below!