An easy way to add seasonal flair to your living room or bedroom is a great throw pillow. This easy sewing pattern by guest blogger Javeriya from Sew Some Stuff is easy to make, and easy to adapt to your own tastes. Choose autumn colors that complement your space and get decorating!
- 1/4 yard of dark brown fabric
- 1/4 yard of beige fabric
- 1/4 yard of yellow fabric
- red yard
- sewing supplies
Cut out the following pieces of fabric
- 1 triangle from dark brown fabric 14″x 14″x 20″
- 1 triangle from yellow fabric 10″x 10″x 14″
- 1 triangle from beige fabric 10″x 10″x 14″
- 1 back piece from beige fabric 10″x 14″
- 1 back piece from beige fabric 7″x 14″
- Fold the back beige pieces by 1″ from longer edge and press.
2. Open the fold, fold again by 0.5″ and press. Sew the folded edge.
3. Place the two small triangles right sides together and sew from the shorter edge. Use a seam allowance of 3/8 inch.
4. Press the seam to one side.
5. Place this triangle on top of the large brown triangle, right sides together and sew along the longer edge. Use a seam allowance of 3/8 inch. Press the seam to one side.
6. This is how it should look like:
7. Make the tassel by wrapping yarn around your hand till you are satisfied with the thickness of the tassel.
8. Take it out of your hand and make a cut at the bottom. Tie a knot in the middle to hold all the tendrils together.
9. Next, wrap a string of yarn 0.5″ from the top and tie a knot.
10. Hand-stitch the yarn in the middle of the finished front pillow.
11. Place the larger beige back piece on top of the front piece so that the right sides are facing each other.
Next, place the smaller beige back piece on top right side down and sew all around as represented by the dotted lines.
Clip the corners and turn the right side out.
Press the seams.
Insert your pillow and you’re done!
Gain extra entries for our grand prize by commenting on our daily National Sewing Month blog posts here on Seams & Scissors. Comment your answer to our question below for an extra entry!
- Commenting on this page will enter you to win the prize. Duplicate comments will be deleted and are not tallied.
- The winner will be selected at random from the comments on this page and entries on AllFreeSewing.com.
- You have until September 30th, 2016 at 11:59 CST to leave your comment on this post. Comments after that will not be counted.
- Contest is open to anyone 18+ in the US and Canada. Void in Puerto Rico, the Province of Quebec and where prohibited.
- The winner will be contacted by the e-mail address provided in their account.