A budget-wise sewist is a smart one! As we all know, fabric can be very expensive, and other sewing materials make this craft a heavy-hitter at the bank. When the holidays roll around and we’re sewing up a storm, it becomes even more important to be thrifty. This might just be our most important tip of the week!
Here’s an awesome tutorial from Westcott on how to recycle a shirt into a cute skirt! This skirt would pair perfectly with boots and tights this fall.
- Westcott 8” ExtremEdge Bent Scissors #15351
- Westcott 3” Straight Scissors #15150
- Long Sleeve T-Shirt
- Stick Pins
- Sewing Thread
- Sewing Machine (optional)
1) With the key provided adjust the tension of the Westcott 8” ExtremEdge Bent Scissors to suit for cutting comfort.
2) Lay down your long sleeve t-shirt and cut off the sleeves and upper portion as shown.
3) Trim the sleeves at a 90 degree angle.
4) With your sewing machine (or if you prefer you can sew by hand) use a basting stitch to gather the wide ends of the sleeves. Trim any loose threads with the Westcott 3” Straight Scissors. Stitch the gathered ends of the sleeves to the top of the remaining portion of the shirt on each side. Try on the skirt and adjust the fit by tying the loose ends of the sleeves off to one side to create a stylish sash!