Whether you are quilting, hand sewing, or creating some fab new wardrobe pieces, being a successful seamstress has a lot in common with being a fantastic cook. While you might be insanely talented, your work is often only as good as your ingredients or, in sewing, your equipment. Just like a poorly maintained oven can burn even the most carefully crafted cake, a struggling sewing machine can sabotage a project in even the most experienced hands. Keep your equipment happy and your projects will come out just as flawless as your skills. With this in mind, we have collected a handful of quick sewing tips and tricks that will help you maintain your sewing tools to ensure that your tools stay handy dandy. Check out the 3 sewing tips and tricks below and learn how to keep up with weekly sewing machine maintenance and other important practices.
Sewing Tips and Tricks for Maintaining Your Equipment
1. Keep your scissors sharp! Have you ever tried to chop a carrot in the kitchen with a dull knife? Well, that’s what you are doing to your fabric stash when you cut it with dull scissors. Head on over to How to Sharpen Scissors to learn how to keep your shears sharp.
2. Keep up with sewing machine maintenance once a month by cleaning your sewing machine. Need some tips? Check out or excellent article on Sewing Machine Maintenance: How to Clean a Sewing Machine.
3. Tuck your sewing machine in at night! Avoid having to do too much sewing machine maintenance by creating a sewing machine cover with one of these DIY sewing machine covers. There are plenty of options over at 10 Tutorials for How to Make a Sewing Machine Cover.
Know some sewing tips and tricks that you would like to share?
Comment below and we might feature your trick here on Seams and Scissors! A great sewing hack can make a world of difference and there is absolutely no reason to keep them to yourself. Interested in writing a Sewing Tips and Tricks Tuesday post for us? Go ahead and email us at email@example.com or click here to submit your idea.
Latest posts by AllFreeSewing (see all)
- We Sewed a Zoo: 8 Stuffed Animal Patterns - January 22, 2020
- Vintage Vixen: Retro Dresses to Match Your Personality - January 20, 2020
- The Biggest Selection of Free Bag Sewing Patterns! - January 8, 2020